It is important that you backup your Altru website to help you recover from unplanned events that result in primary data loss or corruption.
We highly recommend that you do back up because it is very helpful specially if you are working on any online template and checkout flows. If you want to make sure that you do the back up of your Altru website correctly then refer below.
We created a step by step guide on how to backup your Altru website that you can follow. This process is done using Mac but also applicable with Windows though you need to use a different program.
Step 1: Go to your Download Folder and create a new Folder name Backup
Step 2: Open your newly created Backup folder and add the following files:
- Open your Text Edit or Notepad > Name it Header.html > Save > Use html.
- Open another Text Edit or Notepad > Name it Footer.html > Save > Use html.
- Open another Text Edit or Notepad for the third one > Name it Style.css > save > Use css.
- Another Text Edit or Notepad which you can use as a reminder of what you have done already. You can name it README.md (markdown) then click Save.
Step 3: Proceed to your Altru account and go to the Web.
Step 4: Click on Page Designer and make a backup of the Layout.
- Under Select Layout, copy the Header and Footer, Responsive.
- Go to your Readme.md Text Edit or Notepad then paste the layout name like this: Layout: Header and Footer, Responsive. Save and close.
Note: The layout might not match this sample but no worries since this is simply a backup.
Step 5: Go back to Select Layout and click Next which will prompt you to the Colors & Styles tab. Select Advanced colors and styles then click on the Edit style sheet.
- Click your cursor inside the box and do Control A for Windows or Command A for Mac. Select all the CSS then copy and click on the Cancel at the bottom.
- Go to your Style file and paste the copied CSS. Once done, click on close because this already backs up all your CSS and proceed to the next step.
Step 6: Go back to Colors & Styles then click Next. This will prompt you to Configure Content tab where the header and the footer are. Proceed to the little gear for the header on the top left of the box. Thi will lead you to the header design where you need to click on View then Code.
- Select the whole html code using control A for windows or command A for Mac and do control/command C to copy then click on Cancel.
- Find your Header file and paste the html code for your header. Once done, click close then proceed to the next step.
Step 7: Go back to Configure Content, scroll down to the bottom and click on the little gear for the footer.
- Same as the header, click on View then Code. Using Control A for Windows or Command A for Mac, select all the html code for the footer and copy using Control C for Windows or Command C for Mac then click on Cancel and close the open files.
- Find your Footer file and paste the copied html then close.
Step 8: You now have your backup account so if you ever need to restore your template, you can by going to your backup files.
At this point, we highly recommend that you email all these files to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can back it up and have access to it if needed. We also encourage you to back it up to your local storage, cloud storage or to any storage that you have access to just incase we need it in the future.